South Indian style coconut rice. Something very flavorful!
- Freshly grated coconut- Approximately 2 cups
- Basmati rice/or any medium grained rice- 1 cup (wash & keep aside)
- Split black gram (urad dal)- 2 tsp (wash & keep aside)
- Bengal gram (chana dal) – 2 tsp (soaked in some warm water for 10 minutes)
- Dry red chilies- 2-3 (or as per taste)
- Black mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Asafetida powder- ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves- 4 sprig
- Cashew Nuts-10-12
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
Cook the rice. Drain & keep aide. Care should be taken not to overcook the rice. The rice should be tender but not mushy.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan(nonstick preferably). Tamper with mustard seeds & dry red chilies. Once it splutters add the split black gram, drained bengal gram, cury leaves, cashew nuts & asafetida powder. Mix & fry till the cashews turn light brown. Now add the grated coconut. Mix & fry on medium heat. The coconut will get roasted nicely & will become light reddish brown in color. Now add the boiled rice & salt. Mix well & cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
This is a very aromatic rice preparation, I had this plain & I’m sure many of you also would like to eat this plain, but yes you definitely can serve this with hot sambar with some papad!