The timeless ‘Tomato Chutney’, a must have dish after every Bengali meal.
Bengali style Tomato Dates & Raisins Chutney/ Tomato Aamsotto Khejur Chutney
- Tomato 4 big sized (roughly chopped)
- Aamsotto/Mango Bar- 1/2 of the whole bar (cut into small cubes)
- Dates/khejur- deseed and cut into lengthwise in thin strips
- Ginger- 2 tsp, peel and julienne
- Raisins- 1 handful
- Fennel seeds/Mouri- 1tsp
- Whole dry red chili- 1 (broken)
- Aamchur powder/Dry Mango powder- 1 tsp
- Sugar- 3/4 cup
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable oil- 2 tbsp
Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Temper with dry red chili and fennel seeds. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix, cover and cook for 2/3 minutes. With the help of spatula mash the tomatoes. Next to add the sugar, aamchur powder, dates/khejur, raisinis, ginger and aamsotto. Mix and cook for 5/6 minutes, on medium flame. Stir in between. If you like more sweet taste, check the taste at this stage & add more sugar accordingly. Keep stirring till a thick mixture forms. Remove from heat.
Let it be cooled. Serve and enjoy!
The traditional way of having this chutney is after the meal. After having the main course this is served along with papad.