I love the colorful jars of fresh homemade jams. They look so inviting. And the color, oh! so real! 🙂
Jam making is a super easy thing on Earth. Do try this recipe and make a jar of fruity pulpy flavorful jam for your family.
- Plums- 1 cup hipped (measured in a standard coffee mug) chopped and pitted.
- Granulated Sugar- 3/4 cup (measured in that same coffee mug)
- Lemon juice of ½ a lemon
In a nonstick frying pan add plums, sugar & lemon juice. On a low flame keep stirring frequently & after first 5-6 minutes mash the plums lightly (no need to mash them fully) with the help of the spatula. The jam will be thickening within 10-12 minutes. Do the jam test before removing the pan from heat.
For jam test, after first 12-15 minutes put few drops of jam on a dry cold plate. Wait for few seconds to cool it, drag a finger through it. If jam is ready, the parting made by the finger will remain open. If it runs together, cook a little more. Let the jam sit in the same pan, in a cool spot, so it has time to thicken before pouring into jar. Leave there till the jam cools completely.
Store in an airtight jar or container and keep in the refrigerator.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. When it comes to making fruit jams, a general rule of thumb is to use the half amount of sugar compared to fruits. That is, if you are using 1 cup of fruit, then use 1/2 cup of sugar. But I used little more this time, cause these palms were little sour in taste.
- Make sure to use a dry and clean spoon every time whenever you are having the jam.
- Refrigerate after every use.
- This jam stays well up to 2-3 weeks.