‘Carrot Halwa’ is one of my favorite dessert during the winter. You can call it happiness in a bowl. Flavor, taste and color everything together in a bowl. And the Halwa becomes more tastier if that is made with love. Presenting my Hubby’s version of ‘Gajar ka Halwa’ which is made without milk. This is seasonal, festive and very easy to prepare!
Gajar ka Halwa/Carrot Halwa
- Carrot/gajar- 1kg
- Ghee/clarified butter- 6 tbsp
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Sugar- 1/2 cup or adjust as per your taste
- Green cardamom- 7-8 (lightly crushed)
- Bay leaves- 3
- Nuts- 1/4 cup (Cashews and Pistachios)
- Raisins- 1 handful
Cut off both ends of each carrot, peel and wash well. Now grate them and keep aside. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a deep frying pan (nonstick preferably), temper with green cardamoms and bay leaves. Now add the grated carrots and salt. Mix well, cover and cook on low flame, stir in between. Add sugar, 4 tbsp ghee, raisins and nuts when carrots are half cooked. Mix well, cover and cook on low flame until carrots become soft. Remove from heat. Your delicious ‘ Carrot Halwa’ is ready to eat.
Serve warm, Enjoy!
- In general we don’t add milk or condensed milk while cooking ‘Carrot Halwa’. Because we cook ‘Gajar ka Halwa’ with red delhi carrots only, these carrots are juicy and tender. But if you want to add milk, add 1 cup of it at the beginning along with the carrots. And cook until all the milk evaporates.
- If you want to add condensed milk adjust sugar accordingly, and add 200g of it when the carrots become little soft.