Developing new recipes are always fun! You just set your mind free and keep experimenting with the ingredients, and the result may amaze you sometime. Something like this happened when I was in a mood to develop a new healthy muffin recipe which should be low in calorie, and tasty too. So just whipped up some easy ingredients what can be found in any kitchen, and baked these beauties. They not only looked gorgeous, but tasted so good that even my 4+ fussy kid ate 2 at a time. Chocolate and strawberries gelled very well together, and the bites of chocolate chips were added bonus into this.
The most happy part of this recipe is, it got featured on The Society’s website (an online lifestyle magazine) Yayyyy! 🙂
Eggless Chocolate chip & Strawberry Oats Muffins
- Powdered oats- ¾ cup (I used Quaker oats)
- All purpose flour/maida- ¼ cup
- Powdered sugar/Caster sugar (I used brown sugar)- ¾ cup
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Pinch of salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- ½ cup
- Thick buttermilk- 1 cup (or you can use a mix of plain yogurt ¾ cup+milk ¼ cup)
- Vegetable oil/Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Chocolate chips- 1/4 cup
- Strawberries- 6-7 (cut into cubes)
Preheat oven to 180C . Line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a bowl, mix powdered oats, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking soda and salt. Keep aside. In another bowl combine vegetable oil and buttermilk. Add the vanilla essence. Mix in the cocoa-flour mix and blend well until no trace of flour is left. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips (reserve some chocolate chips for sprinkling on top), mix gently with spatula.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, about three fourth full, sprinkle some chocolate chips on top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with few moist crumbs. After baking transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and leave there till they cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Because of oats they tasted little grainy, but that didn’t matter much as these muffins are completely guilt free.
- Every oven is different, so check the doneness of the muffins after first 20 minutes.