‘Poshto Pabda’ is a delicious and flavorful Bengali fish recipe, where fresh Pabda fishes cooked in a cream like poppy seeds curry. The soft texture of this dish is absolutely die for!
Poshto Pabda/Pabda fish Curry with Poppy seeds
- Pabda fish- 500g
- Onion- 1 medium sized (thinly sliced)
- Potato- 1 medium sized (Peel and cut in halves. Then slice each half into half moon size)
- Poppy seeds paste- ½ cup (Wash the poppy seeds using a tea strainer under running water. In a mixer add poppy seeds, 1or 2 green chilies and ½ cup of water. Grind until a smooth paste forms. The paste should be thick, not watery. So stop the mixer/grinder in between and keep adding little amount of water if required.)
- Kashmiri mirch powder – ½ tsp (Optional)
- Nigella seeds/kalojinre/kalonji- ¼ tsp
- Slit green chilies- 8-9 (adjust as per your tolerance)
- Turmeric powder
- Mustard oil
- Fresh coriander leaves-1 tsp (chopped)
Rub salt and a tsp of turmeric powder on the freshly washed pieces of Pabda. Heat ¾ cup oil in a deep frying pan/kadai and lightly fry the fishes on medium flame. Use a lid to cover the deep frying pan/kadai at the time of frying, as Pabda spits a lot of hot oil, so stay safe. Keep aside the fried fishes.
Now fry the sliced potatoes, let the potatoes turn golden brown, remove them. Add some more oil in the kadai. There should be 3 tbsp oil in the kadai for making the curry, so add accordingly. For tempering add nigella seeds. Once it splutters add the onions and sauté them till light brown in color. Now add green chilies, poppy seeds paste, kashmiri mirch powder, salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Fry on medium flame for one minute. Now add 1 cup of water. Mix and give this a quick boil on high flame. Lower the flame, add fishes and potatoes into this. Mix well, cover and cook until the potatoes are done. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.Your yummy ‘Poshto Pabda’ is ready.
Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!