February is the month of ‘Love’, do you agree on this? It doesn’t matter if you agree or not, let’s make Dessert and eat them. Because, dessert makes ‘Love Stories’ better! This Coffee Cream & Vanilla Trifle with Strawberry Compote is very easy to make. The ingredients are simple and should be readily available in your kitchen. Try this and surprise your special someone on this Valentine! 🙂
Coffee Cream & Vanilla Trifle
For Vanilla Sponge
- All-purpose flour/Maida- 1 cup
- Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Caster Sugar/White powdered sugar- 3/4 cup
- Vegetable oil/Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Egg- 1
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract- 1 1/2 tsp
- White vinegar- 1 tbsp
Prepare a 6″ or 7” square baking pan by greasing with butter and dusting with flour. Place a piece of baking paper at the bottom of the pan.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. At room temperature mix the milk and vinegar. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder). In another bowl mix the oil and sugar, add in the egg and vanilla essence. Whisk well, add milk+vinegar mixture into this. Mix again. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk gently to form a lump free batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the baking pan gently on kitchen counter couple of times to release the air bubbles. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do the toothpick test after first 25 minutes, then bake further if not done. Transfer to the cooling rack. When cooled cut half of the cake into cubes for the trifle.
For Coffee Cream
- Fresh Cream- 200ml (I used Amul Cream)
- Instant coffee powder- 3 tsp
- Vanilla extract- ½ tsp
- Whipped Cream (I used Tropolite) – 2 cups (measured after whipping)
After opening the fresh cream carton discard the watery part separately in a bowl. You can use this later into curries. Add rest of the cream in a bowl. On low heat stir until hot, no need to boil the cream. Remove from heat; add coffee into this. Mix and stir very well, no lump should be there. Add in vanilla extract.
Now mix this coffee mixture with whipping cream. Your Coffee cream is ready for Trifle.
For Strawberry Compote
- Strawberry- ½ cup (chopped)
- Sugar- 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp
Add Everything in a nonstick frying pan. Mix and stir on low heat until the sugar melted completely. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, keep mashing the strawberries using the spatula or you can use a potato masher for this. Remove from heat, cool completely before use. If not using instantly, store compote in a sterilised glass container, keep refrigerated.
For making the Trifle
We need two glasses, bowls or you can use jars just the way I used.
Fill the bottom layer with sponge cubes. Now spread some coffee cream on it, again repeat the sponge layer. Close the final layer with coffee cream. Add some Chocolate syrup in between the layers. Top the trifles with some strawberry compote and chocolate syrup.
You can sprinkle chocolate shavings on top or you can decorate the trifles with Oreos. Options are endless, be creative while garnishing your trifles. Enjoy!
- You can halve the Vanilla Sponge recipe, if you want to make Trifle only. The measurement of Coffee Cream is only for two people, but the cake is not. I made this way, because I used the sponge as cake layers for my Tiramisu Cake. The ‘Vanilla Sponge’ tastes excellent as its own. So, I hope you wouldn’t mind if there is some extra sponge cake left just for you! 😉
- Tropolite cream has sugar in it, so I didn’t add any sugar. If you are using sugar free cream, then add icing sugar as per your taste after whipping the cream.
- This recipe can be easily doubled as per your need.