As we step into the month of August, Rakhsha bandhan is just around the corner. We are all occupied with buying rakhis, purchasing gifts and preparing a menu for the feast. Obviously we leave no stone unturned and make sure that all the arrangements are done. Deciding the menu, however is the most tedious job as we have to keep alternating the dishes each year. So here is a tip- why not keep the theme of street food and get the most mouth-watering chaat which we all are fond of? Dahi Puri – yes, the snack we all love to the core, a favourite of the teenagers and the adults, a blend of both sweet and savoury.
To all the sisters and brothers, surprise your sibling by preparing this wonderful and delightful chaat at home. Don’t depend on the street vendors, get hands on with the all-time favourite chaat.
Dahi-Puri is definitely a snack that is easy to prepare. It’s hassle free and perfect for a brunch, evening snack or even an appetizer. It’s a modified and evolved form of the pani puri or the puchka with the blazed mint or imli water served along with it.
Dahi-puri is healthier and contains flavours in abundance. They are lip smacking and leaves a burst of flavours impressing and wooing the palate delightfully. The enriching curd makes it healthy and the round puris definitely surprise the taste buds. The filling in the puri can be customised, but the staple filling is usually a mixture of potato, onion and chickpea, mixed along with different spices. Another filling includes that of sprouted moong and potato. It melts into the mouth and tastes heavenly! The khajur imli chutney is acidic , syrupy and tastes pleasurable. The garnishing which include nylon sev, chopped coriander and spices add onto the delectability. The snack is robust in flavours and a treat for both the vision and the taste buds.
This is a smart recommendation and one should abide by it to make the siblings happy.
Now the first and foremost thing to do is collect all the ingredients required. No, you don’t need to rush to different stores or the vegetable vendors, just use Bigbasket offers and find all of it in one place at reasonable prices.Get all the requirements delivered to your doorstep. Bigbasket promises quality products dirt cheap!
Now before you prepare your list, here are the ingredients required to make a plate of delicious Dahi-Puri:
The main ingredient is the puri which is available on big basket. The number of puris required will depend on the head count of the family. It saves you from the trouble of frying each puri. It is easily available to purchase. Mix sprouts and potatoes are required for the filling of the puri. Salt to taste (mandatory). Imli chutney is to add the sweet and tangy taste with a sparkle to the dish. The most essential is the humble curd which balances the taste.
For garnishing- You only need Sev, chilli powder, cumin powder and chopped coriander.
Since rakhi is approaching, shop these ingredients online and get these ingredients just in time. Hurry!
Pre- preparatory steps-
- Get the curd to the right consistency, it should neither be too thick nor watery. Give the curd a churn with a pinch of sugar and salt to neutralise the acidity. Refrigerate it for some time.
- Boil the mixed sprouts with a pinch of salt.
- For the filling, mash the potatoes. Add salt, cumin powder, red chilli powder to the mash. Mix well. Add the sprouts to the mash and mix well to blend the flavours along with the sprouts.
- Onion can also be added to the mixture. Finely chop the onions and mix well. (it is optional)
- Wash the coriander leaves. Finely chop them and leave it for the final garnish.
- Collect all the dry ingredients and garnishing together to save time for the final preparation.
If you have done so, you are more or less prepared to serve. When all the rituals are done and the cousins, family and relatives bond at the dining table, you know it’s time for the final product to be prepared.
For the final arrangement, here’s what should be done:
- Get hold of a decorative ceramic or glass platter and make your dish presentable and appealing. Pick a puri one by one, make a hole and place it on the plate.
- Fill the puri’s with the potato sprout filling.
- Drop the curd and imli chutney on each puri.
- Garnish with sev/ nylon sev. Sprinkle some more cumin powder and red chilli powder. Finally, decorate it with the chopped coriander leaves.
- If you have managed to completely break one or two puris, don’t discard it, sprinkle it on top and avoid any wastage.
Serve the crispy dahi puris immediately.
Note- the final arrangement is to be done only when the family is ready to eat. Preparing and arranging beforehand may turn the puris soggy which will not please the palate.
It’s easy isn’t it? It is a guarantee that the dahi-puris will disappear from the plate in no time. The appreciation received will be worth the hard work. Homemade sev puri will be impressive and it is much more hygienic and safe to consume. The preparation is done immediately at home and one need not worry about the curd turning sour or the puris turning soggy.
Dahi-puri is the best chaat. It is hard to find a person who does not like dahi puri. Bring the essence of street food at home and stay healthy. It will be a pleasure preparing it for your brother or sister on the occasion of rakhi. They will exult with joy, happiness and contentment. You don’t have to worry about deciding the menu. Dahi puri is the optimum choice. So don’t wait, shop your ingredients quickly and amaze your sibling with your cooking skills.