Cashew Chicken is a lightly spiced, flavourful main course Chinese dish, perfect for kids or anyone who loves Chinese Cuisine. Being a popular one, it has many versions. I’m sharing the way I love to cook it for my family. Hope you’ll like it and give it a try. 🙂
Chinese Cashew Chicken
- Boneless chicken- 400 g (diced)
- Cornflour- 1½ tbsp
- Black pepper powder- ½ tsp
- Garlic powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Cornflour- 1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce- 3 tbsp
- Green chilli sauce- 1 tsp
- Rice Vinegar- 1 tsp
- Soy sauce- ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green onion- 1 chopped (only the green part) alternatively garlic greens can also be used.
- Green chillies- 2 chopped (adjust as per your tolerance)
- Onion- 1 large (cut into cubes)
- Green Bell paper- 1 medium sized, I used ½ of this (cut into cubes)
- Ginger- 1 tsp (julienned)
- Garlic- 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Brown sugar- 1 tsp
- Roasted cashews- ¼ cup
- Roasted sesame seeds- ½ tsp (optional)
- Vegetable oil/Sesame oil
Mix 1 tbsp cornflour in ½ cup of water, keep aside.
Add everything in a bowl mentioned for to marinate with the freshly washed pieces of chicken. Mix well; keep aside for 1-2 hours. Heat ½ cup of oil in a deep non-stick frying pan. On medium heat, fry the chicken pieces until lightly golden, drain on paper towel.
In the remaining oil, add the cubed onions and capsicum, fry on high heat until the onions turn light brown in color, remove and keep aside. Add a few tsp of oil at this stage. Now add chopped garlic and ginger, fry on medium high heat for a few seconds. Next to add chillies, soya sauce, green chili sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, salt and oyster sauce. Mix well. Add the cornflour mixture into this. Mix and give this a quick boil on high heat, keep stirring. Lower the heat; add fried chicken pieces, onions and bell peppers. Cook for 10 minutes. Add chopped green onions and cashews in between, keep stirring. Remove from the heat. Your Chinese Cashew Chicken is done. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Serve hot with Chinese fried rice or Noodles.